Asking about the division of two numbers is a common mathematical question that we encounter in our daily lives. One such problem that often comes up is “what is 63 divided by 1.5?” This article will help you understand how to solve this problem step by step.
Before we dive into the specific problem of dividing 63 by 1.5, let’s have a brief overview of division. Division is an arithmetic operation that involves splitting a quantity into equal parts. In other words, it is the process of finding out how many times one number can fit into another number.
The Division Symbol
The division symbol, also known as the obelus, is used to represent division in mathematical equations. It looks like a horizontal line with a dot above and below the line. For example, the equation “10 ÷ 2 = 5” means that 10 is divided by 2, which equals 5.
Solving 63 Divided by 1.5
Now that we have a basic understanding of division let’s move on to the problem at hand. How do we solve 63 divided by 1.5? The answer is simple. We need to divide 63 by 1.5.
The Long Division Method
One of the most common methods to divide two numbers is the long division method. Here’s how it works:
- Write the dividend (63) inside a long division bracket.
- Write the divisor (1.5) outside the bracket to the left.
- Divide the first digit of the dividend by the divisor. Write the result above the dividend.
- Multiply the divisor by the result obtained in step 3. Write the result below the first digit of the dividend.
- Subtract the result obtained in step 4 from the first digit of the dividend. Write the remainder below the result.
- Bring down the next digit of the dividend next to the remainder obtained in step 5.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 until there are no more digits left to bring down.
Following the long division method, we get:
42 ------- 1.5|63.0 60 --- 30 30 --- 0
Hence, 63 divided by 1.5 equals 42.
Using a Calculator
Alternatively, you can also use a calculator to solve this problem. Simply enter “63 ÷ 1.5” in a calculator, and the answer will be displayed as 42.
In conclusion, 63 divided by 1.5 equals 42. Division is an important mathematical operation that helps us solve a variety of problems, ranging from simple arithmetic to complex mathematical equations.
- What is division?
- Division is an arithmetic operation that involves splitting a quantity into equal parts.
- What is the division symbol?
- The division symbol, also known as the obelus, is used to represent division in mathematical equations.
- What is the long division method?
- The long division method is a common method to divide two numbers by hand.
- Can I use a calculator to solve division problems?
- Yes, you can use a calculator to solve division problems.
- What is the answer to 63 divided by 1.5?
- The answer to 63 divided by 1.5 is 42.